Nutrition & swallow

I am in my 4th year of diagnosis and I’m 48 yrs old. I have started to have issues with swallowing, any suggestions on what my next steps are?
Cheers Lea

1 Like

Hi PatLea, welcome to the forum. I’ll ask out clinicians for their recommendations and I’m also interested to read the experiences of others. I’ll post back soon, Katie

1 Like

Hello,

I started doing a choir, then I went to voice lessons and a speech therapist individually which ended up being better than the choir for me.

This speech therapist taught me a lot of things to help me prolong stuff to do with swallowing, foods etc want to be aware of. And the voice helps to keeps it strength in the throat and the mouth.
As well the music helps to relax the mind and the body.

I have found it all very beneficial.

A good speech therapist would be the first place to start I would recommend. In Adelaide I know Grace is exceptional I found it through Parkinson’s SA. But I do know that she’s extremely busy and don’t know she’s taking on new clients. And my vocal teacher is around Holden Hill Adelaide. She has an interest in Parkinsons and has done courses to help her understand more and she is amazing as well and very good for the soul.

3 Likes